Silver Wattle will open its doors free of charge to any F/friend who would like to attend the Summer Gardening week, 2nd-8th February.
Please feel free to come for anything from the whole week, to just a day or two… even just a quick sticky beak! Come whether you can garden or not. You can always bring cold drinks to the gardeners. We want all F/frien (young and old) to feel part of Silver Wattle.
These are the sorts of gardening/ community jobs you might find yourself doing during your stay:
- Survey the property to identify where we might build new walking tracks
- Harvest veggies in Tunnel 1 - cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, leafy greens
- Work with the cook to preserve/store surplus harvested food
- Dig in the green manure in Tunnel 2
- Repair outdoor furniture for the patio
- Put fruit protection bags on the peach and walnut trees
- Repair/replace the tree guards for our bush regeneration plantings
- Weed the potato patch
- Mulch the western orchard quinces and harvest fruit
- Plant hazelnut seedlings
Each day will start with Meeting for Worship and end with ‘Epilogue’ together, and yummy food will be prepared for everyone by Cheyne Morris, our magnificent cook. Each day’s program will managed in roughly 2-hour blocks, including two gardening/working sessions each day plus one block of free time. The fourth block will have a special activity scheduled, such as learning about ‘Seed Saving’ and ‘The Soil-Food Web’ from permaculture expert Ray South, or going for a swimming outing.
If you do plan to come, we need to know so we can plan how many people to feed. Please send an email to email@example.com if you are interested in attending.
Or you can register your interest online